The wifi irrigation control unit is a device that allows you to manage the irrigation system from your smartphone or tablet using a particular App, usually made available free of charge by the manufacturer.
In this purchase guide to the best wifi irrigation control unit, you will be able to discover all the information that will allow you to purchase the perfect model for your needs.
Buyer Guide to Choose Wifi Irrigation Control Units
The wifi control unit is an extremely advanced device, as, thanks to those above, it will be possible to independently program and manage the watering of your garden even if you are several kilometers away.
This device is extremely useful when, for work or holiday reasons, you have to leave home, and you cannot / do not want to entrust the keys to friends or relatives.
What Is a Wifi Irrigation Control Unit?
The programmers or controllers for wifi irrigation for the garden are devices that, replaced by traditional controllers, allow remote management of your irrigation system.
This is done through a dedicated app, downloadable from iOS or Android. The control panel of the app allows the complete management of the irrigation of your garden.
You can program the switching on and off, without position limits. In other words, it will be possible to have total control of the watering, even if you are thousands of kilometers away from your home.
Why Switch To Smart Irrigation System?
The home automation and smart home market are growing at a dizzying pace. The Internet of Things (literally Internet of Things) is spreading like wildfire even in Italian homes and gardens after the success achieved in the United States and some European countries such as the United Kingdom and Germany.
But why this growth? Many consider investments in technological gadgets of this type unnecessary, an avoidable and sustainable expense only by technology fanatics or by those who “can afford it.” Nothing more wrong. Let’s see why …
No More Waste
The purchase of a smart control unit for irrigation is the best choice to avoid wasting energy and water. In fact, in addition to the traditional programming functions, a smart control unit can access the weather forecast of the area, adjusting itself accordingly.
For example, if there is a thunderstorm in the afternoon, the control unit will avoid unnecessarily watering the lawn in the morning. This leads to a double advantage: on the one hand, you will save water, on the other, you will not flood your garden (as you know too much water is as harmful as the absence of it).
On the contrary, if the day is arid, irrigation will be more “generous.” Also, management via app or browser allows you to monitor water consumption instantly, to regulate it if not properly optimized. In short, an investment rather than an expense.
How does a wifi Control Unit work?
The operation of a wifi irrigation control unit is very simple. After installing a panel at your home (it is precisely the control unit), you need to download an application form in which commands can be sent.
To avoid excessive watering, you can also connect your control unit to a weather station to program it even more precisely and avoid damage to vegetation.
Another great advantage of the wifi irrigation control unit is the reduction to the minimum of waste of water and electricity, with a consequent saving on bills. The last important detail is the total absence of pipes that can ruin the aesthetics of the garden.
Its purchase, therefore, represents a real investment in the home economy and comfort; just think that it will no longer be necessary to water manually, and the risk of distributing the wrong amount of water will be only a distant memory.
How to Choose a wifi Irrigation Control Unit?
How do you choose an irrigation control unit for your garden? We face five important aspects:
- Display and controls
- Rain and humidity sensors
There are two types of wifi irrigation controllers: indoor and outdoor, which have specific characteristics to meet different needs:
- Indoor wifi Control Units: they are more common than outdoor ones, as they are capable of managing differentiated areas such as vegetable garden, garden, lawn, and so on. Usually, this type of control unit requires the presence of one or more concealed sprinklers, and the power supply is via solenoid valves. The latter is nothing more than electric valves controlled by the control unit, and one is needed per zone.
- Outdoor wifi Control Units: they are the same as indoor control units, but are provided with a special box for protection from bad weather and humidity. The box, therefore, allows the installation of the appliance directly in the garden. Still, to avoid unauthorized use or vandalism, it is highly recommended to make sure that it is equipped with a locking key. The prices of outdoor wifi control units are generally higher than those for indoor use, both for the presence of the protective box and for the use of much more sophisticated software.
The power supply of a wifi irrigation control unit can be battery or electric:
- Battery Powered: the devices that work with the power above supply are usually equipped with a special warning light that warns when the time has come to replace it. The battery-powered control units are generally located outside;
- Power Supply: the power supply control units require connection to a power outlet and are usually those for indoor use.
- Programming: The Programming of the wifi irrigation control unit is the most convenient part, as it allows complete remote management: through your smartphone or tablet, it is, in fact, possible to establish the irrigation times, the duration time, and the areas to be watered.
The water distribution cycles can naturally be adjusted according to the weather forecast. To connect to the latter, the control unit is equipped with an automatic search system on the Internet. Still, for more precise predictions, it is recommended to tune it to a weather station compatible with its software.
This device proves to be very useful even for older adults or people with reduced mobility, who can have a perfectly watered garden without effort.
Display and Controls
The number of controls and the display change according to the model of the irrigation control unit. In fact, on the market, there are control units with manual buttons or touch screens.
For easier use, we recommend the purchase of devices with a large and easily readable display accompanied by intuitive controls. This will save a lot of time to understand how it works.
Also, do not neglect the instruction booklet: make sure that they are written in Italian, and if not, do not hesitate to request them from the manufacturer. It seems a trivial and obvious concept, but this will prove very useful when you need to operate the appliance for the first time.
Rain and Humidity Sensors
The rain and humidity sensors are critical not only to avoid unnecessary waste of water but also to avoid excessive watering, often cause plant malaise.
In the case of rain, therefore, a smaller quantity of water will be flooded. Otherwise, the watering will be more generous. For them to perform their function in the best way, it is necessary to follow these little precautions:
- Do not place them too far from the control unit to avoid adding anti-aesthetic extensions;
- Install them on a wall or a gutter, but in a place where they can receive rainwater well, otherwise, they will not be able to measure their quantity;
- Do not place them in an excessively sunny area, as they will dry out too quickly and could start premature irrigation.