If you like watching television and think that the offer of traditional digital terrestrial channels is not enough to satisfy your tastes, you are probably ready to buy a satellite decoder. Of course, as long as a dish is installed on the roof of the house.
At this moment, the market is dominated by Sky. Still, if you don’t want to subscribe or otherwise use the decoder supplied by the company, we will show you the characteristics to consider before choosing a product of this type.
Then reading the guide and the ranking with our reviews of the five best devices for sale on the market for us, you will have bright ideas on which one is really for you. Here we will be listing the top 8 best satellite decoders.
- SOME ITEMS ARE NEW FACTORY REMAN DISH NETWORK CERTIFIED*
- Work with all portable antenna incl. King Quest and Winegard without B-Band Converter Needed
- H24 installed on systems that DO NOT have a SWiM Switch require B-Band Converters
- H24 comes with a RF/IR Remote Control , Wall Mountable
- Premium Satellite Tv Antenna For All Providers: Directv Sd, Dish Hd And Sd And Bell Hd And Sd Programming (Canada)
- Automatically Configures For Us Satellite Service—No Dip Switches
- Patented Self-Leveling Design
- 【Technical Support】The GT MEDIA R&D centre continuously optimizes and improves FTA Satellite Receiver, and launches new firmware on the forum for users to download and update to the device. If you need any technical support, you can post your question on forum and get response in 24hours.
- V7S2X HD is an upgraded version of V7S HD, mainly add DVB-S2X, HEVC H.265, BISS auto roll, Full PowerVu, support full-speed USB 4G dongle, other functions are the same.
- Plug and play, built-in many satellite lists, such as Galaxy 19, Astra, Hotbird, Eutelsat, Türksat etc. choose Auto-scan or Blind-scan to search channels. a satellite dish or antenna is necessary，the orientation of satellite dish is very important to receive signal.
- NEW! Industrial redesign and ultramodern, clear cover offer sleek look and leading signal strength
- Includes 100% nationwide coverage (western and eastern satellites)
- Portable or roof-mountable – mounting feet included
- [4k UHD Display and Decoder] Fully comply with DVB-S/S2/S2X/DVB-T/T2/Cable (J83.A/B/C)/ISDBT, built-in 2.4G WIFI modules, supports Ethernet and IEEE 802.1.1b/g/n. V8 UHD satellite receiver supports full powerVU, DRE&Biss key.
- [CA Smart Card Reader and Multi-room] allows you to share your CA card with other receivers on the same network, which means that if you insert one CA card into our satellite receiver, then the receiver in your other rooms can also use the card at the same time, but they need to be on the same network.
- [DLNA and Sat to IP] DLNA function supports transmitting the video in your phone and tablet on a large TV screen. Sat to IP function supports satellite TV program transmit to your mobile phone, tablet and other device via GTShare.
- ully DVB Compliant and H.264/MPEG-2/MPEG-4/AVS.
- Support Full / Blind Search on Single / Multiple Satellites.
- Support Auto / Manual Search on Terrestrial Network.
- Plug and play, built-in many satellite lists, such as Galaxy 19, Astra, Hotbird, Eutelsat, Türksat etc. choose Auto-scan or Blind-scan to search channels. a satellite dish or antenna is necessary, the orientation of satellite dish is very important to receive signal.
- GT MEDIA V7S2X HD support DVB-S/S2/S2X, BISS auto roll, Full PowerVu, Multi-stream/T2MI, support full-speed USB 4G dongle.
- The DVB media supported USB WiFi antenna, plug-in, connect to the wifi, support watching YouTube, CS protocol, CCcam, Newcam Mgcam etc. Paid programs must enter the code (code not provided).
Buyer Guide to Choose Best Satellite Decoders
These are the two major categories in which satellite decoders are divided, and the difference lies in their ability to receive programs that are transmitted by analog or digital technology. We say that the market is going in the direction of digital.
Therefore our advice is to opt for a model of this type to have the opportunity to receive a large number of channels as well as take advantage of the most innovative technologies, such as a high definition or the 3D. In this regard, we want to report our page on the best 3D TVs in case you are interested.
A second difference is represented by which transmissions the decoder is capable of receiving. There are the Free to Air models that only allow viewing of the channels that transmit in the clear, and there are the IRD models that will enable you to decode the paid channels for which viewing, of course, it is necessary to subscribe to a subscription (as in fact in the case of Sky).
Therefore, the IRD satellite receivers have the housing for a smart card, a sort of credit card that certifies that the subscription has been signed and “unlocks” the viewing of pay-TV programs.
Also, each model with IRD technology supports different coding standards, so before purchasing one, check that it is compatible with that of the TV channels you want to watch.
High Definition and Digital Terrestrial
The latest models from the best brands can decode high definition broadcasts, which has now become the standard for new generation televisions.
In our opinion, opting for a model of this type is fundamental, because the TV broadcasting market is going in this direction. To save money, the risk is that of being with a model destined to become obsolete in a few years …
If your TV is not equipped with a DVB-T receiver, a smart choice could be to buy a combined decoder, that is, capable of supporting both satellite and digital terrestrial reception.
These models tend to be cheaper than the others but represent an exceptionally convenient solution because they allow you to manage the entire TV offer with a single device and with individual remote control.
With the frenetic rhythms and commitments of today’s life, it is not always easy to be in front of the television in the exact moment in which a program that interests us begins. That’s why at the time of purchase, you can consider opting for a receiver that is capable of recording TV broadcasts, movies, and more.
There are models equipped with capacious internal hard drives on which you can store dozens of programs and then watch them when you have time. This is the simplest solution, but comparing the prices will notice that these devices are more expensive.
Another option, cheaper, is represented by decoders with USB input to which you can connect external sticks or hard disks, on which you can record the programs that interest you.
Excellent Value for Money
ZGemma-Star is an English electronics company, specialized in the satellite telecommunications sector, which has been operating for more than ten years and has achieved a particular reputation thanks to the reliability and good quality of its products.
The H5 satellite decoder is certainly no exception, and this small device has met the favor of many consumers, above all, thanks to its excellent value for money.
One of its limitations, being an English product, is that of being equipped with the relative plug, therefore to be connected to our electrical network it requires an adapter to be purchased separately.
The other “flaw,” according to some buyers, is the rather bold and essential design of this satellite decoder, essentiality that finds its climax in the minimal LCD, which only displays necessary information during operation.
Multifunctional Combined Decoder
Except for the Spartan aspect and the English plug, all that remains of the H5 satellite decoder is a fantastic Combo of technology that allows the reception of digital satellite and terrestrial signals.
The H5 supports the latest generation standard DVB-T2 and DVB-S2 and is complete with the codec packages necessary to manage the video signals in high definition up to the HEVC H265 standard, that is the one for Ultra HD 4K definition.
It also has LAN connectivity to connect to the network and enjoy the audio and video streaming from web platforms such as Netflix and PrimeVideo, a microSD card reader, and a USB input to play video and audio content from external sources.
Moreover, through a select plugin to download from the internet, it can also receive IP TV signals.
Excellent Quality Technology
The people who purchased the H5 model, from the English company ZGemma-Star, fully agree in considering it an excellent satellite decoder.
Regardless of the limitations, definitely resolvable, concerning the English plug that requires an adapter and the Spartan aesthetic aspect the H5 decoder stands out for its excellent quality level.
It is a high-quality decoder both as regards the technology used and the signal compatibility with the different standards currently in use, including the latest generation ones, and for the versatility of use, thanks to the possibility of being able to reproduce content from external sources and also from the network.
The only real “flaw” found by the buyers is the configuration to be performed, which is somewhat complex and they recommend having it carried out by a specialized technician in the sector.