Protein bars are a convenient and effective way to improve the protein intake of the diet. They have a soft consistency and a high satiating ability.
Protein bars are always connected with sport and muscle building, but this is not the only use that can be given to these products.
Here we had selected some of the best protein bars that are present below.
- Variety Pack: This pack contains 18 snack size protein bars (9 Mint Chocolate Chip and 9 Peanut butter & Jelly)
- The award-winning FITCRUNCH Baked Bar is arguably the best protein bar ever made. Created by co-founder and celebrity chef, Robert Irvine, to provide quality nutrition and an unmatched taste that you’d expect from a world-renown chef.
- FITCRUNCH makes getting your protein more enjoyable than ever before. Sold world-wide, enjoyed by athletes, fitness enthusiasts and families.
- NEW LOOK! You will receive 1 box containing 12 Pure Protein Chocolate Mint Cookie Bars
- DELICIOUS HIGH PROTEIN BAR: Pure Protein Chocolate Mint Cookie Bars are full of flavor and contain 19g of protein for lasting energy. Each delicious bar is gluten free with high-quality protein that helps build lean muscle and strength.
- ON-THE-GO PROTEIN SNACK: Pure Protein Bars support your busy and active lifestyle. Made with high-quality protein, an essential part of a nutritious, balanced diet, Pure Protein bars are a delicious snack any time of day.
- BAREBELLS SOFT PROTEIN BAR CARAMEL CHOCO - 12 individual fluffy Barebells protein bars! Super soft and fluffy chocolate core, topped with sweet caramel layer and silky soft chocolate shell. Our soft protein bars have 16 grams of protein and no added sugar*!
- OUR SOFTEST PROTEIN BARS EVER - Introducing Barebells brand new Soft Bars! A true game-changer when it comes to protein bars. Experience a whole new level of protein bars so soft and so good you’ll forget they’re actually protein bars.
- DELICIOUS PROTEIN SNACKS WITHOUT ADDED SUGAR - Searching for protein bars that taste like a regular chocolate bar? Buckle up and grab a Barebells bar! Protein bars from Barebells are completely free from added sugars and packed with 15-20 grams of protein.
- HIGH-QUALITY INGREDIENTS: CLIF Builders protein bars are gluten free, made with non-GMO ingredients, and are low glycemic to digest slowly for prolonged levels of energy (packaging may vary)
- CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER GOODNESS: Just the right amount of peanut butter and rich chocolate flavor come together in our Chocolate Peanut Butter Flavor bar to make it classically delicious with a crunch
- ENERGY FOR TOUGH WORKOUTS: With 20g of complete protein* and additional carbohydrates, CLIF Builders are perfect for fueling recovery and sustaining hardworking bodies after training or competing
- GLUTEN-FREE PROTEIN BARS: Why would you fuel your body with anything less than the best? ONE CRUNCH Bars are Gluten-Free and made with quality ingredients to treat your body the right way. Our protein bars go beyond what the rest can be, the CRUNCH Bar is a great snack or sweet treat that anyone can enjoy.
- THEY'VE GOT CRUNCH: Just when you thought the best-tasting protein bar couldn't get any better, we made ONE CRUNCH Bars. Combining a fun and crunchy protein bar with our always zero chalky tasting flavors, ONE CRUNCH Bars are your new favorite well-earned sweet treat or snack.
- HIGH PROTEIN, LOW SUGAR: Made with Whey Protein Isolate, ONE CRUNCH Bars have 12g of protein and only 1g of sugar, always satisfying your protein needs and wont leave you with any post-snack guilt.
- Made with 20 gram of high quality whey and milk protein to help rebuild your muscles so you come back strong
- 42g of carbs per bar to replenishing and get ready for tomorrow's workout
- Scientifically developed for athletes, each bar contains protein and carbs to rebuild and refuel. The protein bar used by the NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB is now available to you, Includes 12 chocolate chip bars
- Each bar contains 20g protein and 4g fiber
- Delivering high quality protein, a good source of fiber, and great taste in each bar, they are designed especially for everyday athletes, Enjoy the convenience of these grab and go bars to help replenish muscles and recover with ease post-workout or as a snack any time of day
- Available in 4 delicious flavors: Chocolate Peanut Butter, Cookies and Cream, Vanilla, Peanut Butter Cookie
- 20 grams protein: Our highest protein bar is for consumers seeking a multipurpose nutritional bar that can go from an energy boosting snack to a meal replacement when paired with a piece of fruit.
- 0 grams Sugar: No artificial sweeteners - Does not contain sucralose, saccharin, aspartame, Acesulfame potassium, neotame or advantame. Great for those watching their sugar intake (low GI).
- We take pride in selecting ingredients with no artificial colors or flavors. *All ingredients have been produced without genetic engineering.
- 16 grams of protein
- 3 grams of sugar
- 190 Calories
- VARIETY MIXED SAMPLE BOX - Includes the following flavors, Cherry Barcia, Coconut Almond, Mint Brownie, Raspberry, Peanut Butter Brownie, Coconut, Salted Caramel, Cookies 'N Cream, Double Chocolate, Churro Puff, Brownie Batter Puff, Coconut Marshmallow Puff.
- PERFECT TEXTURE - Covered in 100% real chocolate. With each chewy bite you take, you will think you are cheating on your diet, indulging on a chocolate dessert! With a variety of flavors to try in this variety pack, your quest for the perfect protein bar ends here with this Built Bar variety sample box.
- MACRO HEAVEN – High protein with low sugar, low carbohydrates, and low calories. Reaching your health goals just got easier. Healthy is new Tasty. Enjoy, guilt free!.
Things to Consider Before Buying Protein Bars
Even if you buy the best protein bar, if you don’t know when, how and how much to consume it, you will end up wasting this product or, worse still, to damage your health. In this section, we will develop all the key aspects related to the composition and uses of protein bars.
What Exactly Are Protein Bars?
Protein bars are supplements designed to increase the protein intake of the diet, both in quantity and in quality. They contain proteins of good biological value that come from milk (whey proteins, milk protein isolates, and concentrates, calcium caseinate), collagen, soy, seeds, or peas.
Proteins are amino acid chains. A protein has a high biological value when it contains all (or almost all) of the essential amino acids for humans. If one of these amino acids is missing, it is not possible to synthesize the proteins that will repair or build body tissues, including muscles.
Proteins are mixed with other macronutrients, such as fats, carbohydrates, and dietary fiber, to form bars and give them a pleasant taste. Depending on the quality and proportion of fats and sugars combined with proteins, the nutritional value of the protein bar will vary.
Are All Protein Bars Healthy?
As you can see from the table above, there are healthy and unhealthy ingredients. Each person should carefully read the nutritional label of the various brands of protein bars to choose the ones that provide the highest amount of protein and are reduced in sugars and fats.
Do Protein Bars Help Increase Muscle Mass?
Protein bars guarantee the availability of all the amino acids necessary to synthesize new proteins and, therefore, muscle mass. However, without physical training, it is impossible to build muscle, even if the protein bars are consumed daily.
It is important to consume protein bars at the right time to encourage muscle mass development. The metabolic window, which corresponds to 30-45 minutes after the end of the training routine, is the best time to eat protein because the body assimilates it more efficiently.
During the metabolic window, proteins are broken down into amino acids, which reach the muscle to stop muscle breakdown triggered by physical exertion. They are also used to repair damaged muscle fibers and to synthesize new muscle proteins. As a result, muscle enlargement occurs.
Typical Ingredients of Protein Bars
Most protein bars belong to the category of processed foods, and their components are far from natural. However, vegan bars are generally made with 100% organic ingredients. Protein bars can have the following compounds:
- Proteins: the bars contain high-quality animal and vegetable proteins to guarantee the supply of all the amino acids essential for human health (tryptophan, threonine, phenylalanine, methionine, leucine, isoleucine, valine and lysine). The sources are whey protein (whey), milk protein (concentrated or isolated), calcium caseinate (milk), hydrolyzed collagen, soy protein, pea protein, seed protein (hemp, amaranth), others.
- Carbohydrates: some simple sugars are used and, in the best qualities, polyols (alcoholic sugars). Polyols do not damage the teeth nor increase the level of glucose in the blood (blood sugar). Also, they only supply 2.4 calories per gram, while simple sugars provide four calories per gram.
- Fats: they are mainly present in the coatings of protein bars, which are usually based on dark or milk chocolate. The problem is that saturated and hydrogenated fats (trans fats) are often used to make food palatable, but this has a significant impact on their nutritional quality.
- Dietary Fiber: this component is extremely important because it increases the satiating value of the protein bar and helps suppress the appetite. Also, the fiber slows down the absorption of sugars in the bars and, consequently, prevents glycemic peaks in people with diabetes or with insulin resistance.
- Flavors, flavorings, and dyes: in natural and organic bars, intense flavors and aromas (for example, cinnamon or cocoa) are added to improve the organoleptic characteristics of these products. In contrast, manufacturers of elaborate protein bars sometimes abuse artificial additives.
Why Are Protein Bars Recommended for Weight Loss?
Protein bars are recommended as a supplement to a weight loss diet. Their maximum utility for losing weight lies in their satiating ability, which reduces appetite and makes you ingest less food throughout the day. Also, their delicious flavor mitigates the desire for desserts and sweets.
Recommended Daily Amount for Protein Bars
Protein needs vary from one individual to another depending on their age, sex, physical activity (type, intensity, frequency, training time), consistency, among other characteristics.
However, it is convenient to limit yourself to one protein bar per day, the weight of which can vary between 30 and 60 grams.
Can Diabetic People Consume Protein Bars?
This depends on the nutritional composition of the protein bar. Given the huge variety of protein bar commercial brands, a consumer’s responsibility is to read the nutrition label carefully.
People with diabetes should look for bars rich in fiber, reduced in carbohydrates and containing polyols as sweeteners.
Are Protein Bars Bad?
Protein bars usually don’t have too many contraindications, although it’s important not to exceed the quantity. The manufacturers of these products often clarify the label that “excessive consumption of protein bars can have a laxative effect.”
This is due to the presence of alcoholic sugars (polyols). Excess protein can cause kidney or liver overload. Therefore, those suffering from kidney or liver disease should consult their doctor before consuming protein bars.
How to Choose the Best Protein Bar?
As we have already said, it is not easy to buy a nutritious and healthy protein bar. Most of the bars are made with whey protein (whey), but excess fat and sugar are sometimes added.
The following are the purchase criteria that you should take into consideration before choosing the product for you. Here we had also shared a video guide so you can get a proper idea about that.
Protein bars are presented in different flavors: chocolate, raspberry, strawberry, biscuits and cream, caramel, banana, or vanilla, among many others.
Some may have an artificial or cloying taste, so there is a chance that you have to try different brands until you find the protein bar you like.
The protein bar must provide a minimum of 12-15 grams of protein per serving and must have a high biological value.
Also, protein bars reduced in sugar, high in fiber, and less than 8 grams of fat should be chosen. Vegan bars may be slightly richer in fat, but these are unsaturated.
Presence of Allergens
Allergens are often present in protein bars, both of animal and vegetable origin. The most common are: peanuts, soybeans, gluten, eggs, sesame seeds, and nuts.
Those who have celiac disease, food allergies, or lactose intolerance should read the nutrition label carefully to avoid them.
Origin of The Ingredients
In the case of protein bars suitable for vegans, their ingredients are not only of vegetable origin, but in most cases, and they are also 100% organic. For people who want to follow a diet based on natural foods, even if they are not vegan, these bars are the best alternative.
Of course, milk protein bars should not be consumed by lactose intolerants, even if their label says otherwise.