An ebook reader is a tool that has revolutionized the world of reading. Thanks to this new technology, it is possible to read anywhere without carrying excessive weights. There is only one thing to understand: which is the most suitable reading device for our needs? Let’s find out what are the different models on sale and how they differ.
An ebook is simply a digital book, that is, a file that replaces the standard paper product or supports it in the editorial sale.
The ebook requires an electronic book reader, that is, a device that encodes the text of the file and allows it to be read in the same way as a traditional paper book.
The strength and simplicity of this product consist above all in the possibility of loading a large number of texts on the reader ( eBook reader ) and being able to carry hundreds of books, magazines, and newspapers without any added weight. Here we will be listing the top 12 best ebook readers.
- Our best 7", 300 ppi flush-front Paperwhite display.
- Adjustable warm light to shift screen shade from white to amber.
- Waterproof (IPX8) so you can read in the bath or by the pool. Your Kindle has been tested to withstand accidental immersion in water.
- Now available in black or white
- Higher resolution display (300 ppi) - with twice as many pixels
- Built-in adjustable light - read day and night
- All-new design is thinner and lighter, and now available in your choice of black or white.
- With built-in Audible, access the world’s largest library of audiobooks. Easily switch between reading and listening on Bluetooth-enabled speakers or headphones.
- Easy on your eyes—touchscreen display reads like real paper.
- 【INK SCREEN】Moaan inkPalm5 Ebook Reader has HD glare-free touchscreen with 1280 x 720 (284ppi) resolution. You could adjust the brightness and color temperature of the Ink display to enjoy comfortable reading and protect eye health.
- 【POCKET SIZE】With 5.2inch screen and 0.25pounds weight, the reader device is small and portable, allowing you to read anytime and anywhere.
- 【ELECTRONIC LIBRARY】With large storage capacity of 32GB, the e-reader can store thousands of e-books and supports installation of reading applications as you want.
- 【Ultra Thin Ultra Clear】7-inch ultra-clear electronic screen, integrated body design, thin to 11MM, sharp text, restore paper-like reading experience.
- 【Multi Function Reader】Independent book flip button, preview book chapters and pictures through thumbnails, easily find what you want to see, built-in multimedia functions such as music, video, and photos.
- 【Waterproof And Durable】The book reader uses a high-speed built-in ARM9 core and a built-in 2100mAh battery, which can last for several weeks on a single charge, and has a waterproof design to effectively prevent splashes.
- 【ELECTRONIC LIBRARY】With updated storage capacity of 64GB, Moaan inkPalm5 Pro Ebook Reader can store thousands of e-books and supports installation of reading applications as you want.
- 【INK SCREEN】The reader has HD glare-free touchscreen with 1280 x 720 (284ppi) resolution. You could adjust the brightness and color temperature of the Ink display to enjoy comfortable reading, just like print on paper.
- 【POCKET SIZE】With 5.2inch screen and 0.25pounds weight, the reader device is small and portable, allowing you to read books anytime and anywhere.
- 800x480: The E reader has a 7in HD color screen with a resolution of 800x480, and the graphic display is more delicate and clear
- Large Memory: The E reader devices have 4GB/8GB/16GB storage for you to choose, and support maximum 16GB memory card expansion
- Navigation Buttons: The black E reader has a mechanical navigation button, which supports the previous page and the following page
- ✔️ EYE-FRIENDLY & GLARE-FREE TOUCHSCREEN: The E-Ink Carta technology provides a crisp and glare-free reading experience, making it ideal for long reading sessions. Enjoy an eye-friendly multisensor HD 6-inch display that comes as close as possible to a page on paper.
- ✔️ ADJUST BRIGHTNESS & COLOR TEMPERATURE: With the innovative adaptive SMARTlight, you have the freedom to adjust the brightness and color temperature of the screen to suit your preferences. Embark on a personalized reading adventure with our e-book reader, whether you're on the go, on vacation, or cozily nesting at home.
- ✔️ LIGHTNING-FAST PERFORMANCE: Experience exceptional device and application performance, along with seamless page-flipping, thanks to the powerful dual-core processor. Up to one month of battery life!
- 【INK SCREEN】Moaan inkPalm Plus Reader has HD glare-free touchscreen with 1440 x 720 (276ppi) resolution. You could adjust the brightness and color temperature of the Ink display to enjoy comfortable reading, just like print on paper.
- 【ELECTRONIC LIBRARY】With a storage capacity of 64GB and a running memory of 2GB, the Ebook Reader can store thousands of e-books for your reading. With the system of Android 11, you could install the reading Apps as you want.
- 【POCKET SIZE】With 5.84inch screen and 0.31pounds(140g) weight, the reader device is small and portable, allowing you to read books anytime and anywhere.
- 𝗔𝗗𝗝𝗨𝗦𝗧𝗔𝗕𝗟𝗘 𝗕𝗥𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧𝗡𝗘𝗦𝗦 & 𝗕𝗟𝗨𝗘 𝗟𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗧𝗥𝗢𝗟 – The Kobo Clara HD has ComfortLight PRO to adjust the brightness and colour temperature of your screen. Gradually reducing blue light exposure, making reading easier by limiting eyestrain, so you can read before bed in the dark comfortably
- 𝗚𝗟𝗔𝗥𝗘-𝗙𝗥𝗘𝗘 𝗧𝗢𝗨𝗖𝗛𝗦𝗖𝗥𝗘𝗘𝗡 – It has a natural, print-like reading experience on its 6" high-definition 300PPI screen. Unlike your tablet or smartphone, this eReader has a screen that is glare-free so you can read in direct sunlight, just like real paper
- 𝗖𝗔𝗥𝗥𝗬 𝗨𝗣 𝗧𝗢 𝟲𝟬𝟬𝟬 𝗕𝗢𝗢𝗞𝗦 – With 8GB of storage take your entire book collection everywhere you go. Browse over 6 million titles at any time, on the built-in Rakuten Kobo eBookstore
- Read easy, everywhere
- Seamless day-to-night reading with Night Mode
- Soft touch finish on front and back for easy grip
- 【HIGH DEFINITION INK SCREEN】E Book uses high definition ink screen technology, the display effect is as comfortable as a paper book, allowing you to concentrate on reading.
- 【6INCH 800X 600】6inch 800x 600 high resolution screen, graphic display is more delicate and clear, the ink screen itself does not emit light, allowing you to stay away from blue light and defend eye health.
- 【8GB STORAGE】Ereader devices have built in 8GB storage, and support up to 32GB memory card expansion to meet your various needs for storage space.
Buying Guide to Select the Best Ebook Readers
In the original sense, eBook readers were studied exclusively for reading texts and equipped themselves with a technology called e-ink, that is, with screens that we’re able to return images of the book only in shades of gray.
As we have already said before, the eBook is a book that has been digitalized through computer science and, therefore, accessible through a specific program.
The devices that can be equipped with this software can be different: PCs, PDAs, tablets, ebook readers, and how many devices the technology will be able to invent to read digital texts.
The e-ink e-reader has been designed to satisfy its user in reading by emulating on the screen and dedicated technology the printing on paper, restoring the pleasantness, and the relaxing aspect that reading a book in the article can give.
The peculiarity is to be found on the screen and in what is technically called “electronic ink” and by choice of the manufacturer of this device not to backlight its product so as not to strain the eyes while reading, reproducing the sensation of the printed paper.
Screen and Visual Quality
As we have widely said, the primary function of the screen of an eBook reader is to simulate the printed paper on one side and allow prolonged use without straining the reader’s view.
The choice of the e-ink screen or also called digital ink has revolutionized the same concept of screen and lighting: the idea was to create a digital product that resembled as much as possible the printed paper thus giving up the backlight used by tablets or others portable devices in favor of quality and ease of reading.
The most recent technologies used for the latest generation of eBook readers are the E-ink Pearl and Carta.
The first can be safely considered as an evolution of the E-ink display. From a strictly technical point of view, little changes from the previous one, there is a noticeable improvement as regards the legibility of the texts.
Which in the first version was a dark background with some specks, Pearl technology instead returns a lighter and less stained experience, drawing better quality in the more distinct characters.
Further refinement and the most recent digital ink technology are obtained with E-Ink Paper . With darker blacks and whiter background, the E-readers that equip screens with Carta technology are 50% more contrast, and higher reflectivity confirms an unparalleled sense of cleanliness of the text image.
Noteworthy e-readers with an LCD screen are particularly suitable for niche use. If for those looking for reading a piece of literature or a narrative book the choice of E-Ink is mandatory.
Reading comics or manga makes the experience unrewarding for the absolute lack of color so if your passion is the story drawn the decision must be characterized by a screen capable of returning the emotions of the colors. Without any doubt, the most appropriate is the LCD one.
A look to the future comes from the Chalmers University of Technology, which seems to have created a flexible material capable of reproducing the colors of a standard LCD screen that will allow you to view images and texts in high resolution.
Text Resolution and Density
A hint on the resolution and density of the text. Up to now, we have talked about what characterizes and what are the properties that an ebook reader must-have. The sharpness and resolution of the book are essential.
The more we have a high number of PPIs (dots per inch), the more the texts we will display will be comparable with the same traditionally printed. So the greater the number of PPIs, the higher the definition of the screen and consequently also the text image.
It is also useful to consider the “page-change” system, which can be performed by touching the screen like browsing a book or using a dedicated button inserted in the body of the device.
Inches and Sizes
When talking about the screen size of a portable device, two considerations must always be considered: the adequacy of the dimensions must guarantee, on the one hand, the ease of transport, on the other a clear vision of the contents without particularly straining the view.
Considering these two essential characteristics, the manufacturers of the best E-Book Readers have opted for two standards, a smaller one of 6 inches up to a maximum of 8 inches, thus keeping the size of a portable book unchanged, while reducing its weight.
The eBook-reader will allow you to have a considerable number of texts with you without taking up more space.
As we have already stated several times, the ebook is a digital book and, as such, is saved as a file. The most common reading file extensions are PDF, E-PUB, AZV, and Mobi.
In any case, ebooks can also be in the following formats, less known or proprietary: BBeB, FB2, HTML, CHM, IMP, DOC, PRC, RTF, RB, LIT, or written in plain text.