As you already know, dog toys are an accessory that should not be missing when you want to make your four-legged friend happy. All animals like to play, regardless of their race or age. Often you will not have the opportunity to be with him, so finding the right product to entertain him even when he is alone is important.
This guide is intended to show you the variety available for dog games on the market, and will also help you understand many of the behaviours of your four-legged friend.
Here we had listed out the best dog toys that are presented below.
Dog Toys Buying Guide
It is important that before buying toys for your pet, you are familiar with the functionality of these products, which can be very useful. Some toys train the mind and are useful as an educational aid, while others help keep the dog in shape. You will surely find this guide very interesting.
Why Are Dog Games Important?
One of the essential activities for having a healthy dog is play. Thanks to these moments of leisure, the pet can develop his intelligence and stay fit, and avoid gaining weight. Also, the hours of play help to strengthen the relationship with the dog and make him happy.
Experts warn that animals that do not exercise or live with few stimuli for the mind run the risk of developing inappropriate attitudes. A bored dog can suffer from hyperactivity problems and destroy household items, for example. Toys help prevent this type of behaviour.
Can Dog Toys Help with Training?
Dog toys can be a great ally when educating your pet. This is because, through play, dogs get used to following the rules. The most common orders that dogs should know are answering the call, sitting, lying down and leaving.
The animals must follow some basic lessons while they play, to prepare to comply with the orders at other times as well. At the time of playing, you can also show severe, but you still have to let it have fun, without taking advantage of it and maintaining good behaviour.
How Can I Motivate My Dog to Play Games?
There are several reasons why your dog may appear apathetic and unwilling to play. It is necessary to find the root of the problem and act accordingly.
First, you need to understand that not all dogs play the same way and that another factor that influences is age: puppies never stop, and they love to play, but when they grow up they tend to calm down.
To motivate the animal to play, it is good to dedicate a lot of time to it, go up often and take it to places intended for dogs, to interact. You should also try different toys since not all animals are created equal. Either way, leave him his space and don’t stress him too much.
Are There Games for Older Dogs?
The dogs, having become old, find it more difficult to play. Like humans, they have less energy over the years, but that doesn’t mean an old dog can’t or should play. There are specific toys for the development of their cognitive functions that should continue to be also used with the elderly.
Your pet must stay fit to maintain his physical health. So even if he plays more quietly than when he was a puppy, he finds toys that can motivate him and keep him active every day.
Are There ‘puzzle’ Games for Dogs?
The market for dog toys is very rich and varied, and it can also offer brain teasers. These allow the dog to play alone and to think, stimulating the mind and developing intelligence. Also, they educate the dog to be patient, in the opinion of many experts.
Cognitive stimulation consists of proposing to our dog’s problems that must be solved to obtain a reward. These games, according to experts, are also useful for solving many emotional and behavioural problems of dogs.
Games Suited for Dogs that Love to Bite
There are times when dogs enjoy biting, or they do it out of anxiety, and in doing so, they can destroy furniture or decorations in the house.
To save your home, you can offer an alternative to your pet. There are many toys created specifically to withstand your pet’s bites for a long time.
Thanks to these, the dog can continue to carry out one of his favourite activities, without destroying the game or the house. If your pet loves to eat, there are toys with flavours and bony shapes to bite into, and there are balls, rubber bones or even Frisbees created for the biting dogs.
How to Choose the Best Dog Toys?
Toys are not only useful for your dog, but they are also a great gift to make him happy. Before choosing a product of this type, you need to analyze the character and habits of your four-legged friend. To help you make a good decision, here we will analyze several aspects to consider:
There are many types of dog toys, with different shapes and, consequently, different functions, useful for different moments and made with a wide variety of materials.
In the following lines, we will see what the most common forms of dog toys on the market, suitable for your pet’s free time are.
- Ropes. These games are designed to play in the company of another dog or yours, strengthening your bond.
- Bones. They are useful for dogs that love to bite and, if flavoured, and they are also perfect for animals that are always hungry.
- Balls. Useful for dogs that love to bite and to allow them to run in open spaces.
- Plush. There are bite-resistant versions, and they are ideal for dogs with a constant need for attention and separation anxiety.
- Kong. In the shape of a snowman, it is used to release food and as a multidirectional ball.
- Frisbee. Suitable for open spaces. The dog can run and bring it back.
- Brainteaser. They are used to develop your pet’s cognitive skills.
- Treats holder. They stimulate the dog to search for hidden treats using intelligence and smell.
It is very important to buy a dog toy that doesn’t break easily. If this breaks down into small parts, they could be swallowed. Also, many toys are made to be bitten, so they must be resistant. The most common materials are:
- Soft plastic. They can break more easily when used by a large dog. The positive side is that they cannot create lesions in the animal’s mouth. If it breaks, it must be thrown away, to prevent the ingestion of the pieces.
- Hard plastic. More resistant than the soft type. If thrown, it can hit or injure the animal.
- Rubber: It is a flexible material that resists bites and bounces in multiple directions, which will be fun for your pet. If it is made of 100% rubber, it is not toxic.
- Canvas and rope: Soft toys tend to break because externally they are made of canvas. For this, and to avoid ingestion, many traders fill them with rope.
- Vinyl. They hardly break or get ruined.
- Latex. They are as soft as plastic, but they last longer.
A dog toy must also be appropriate for the age, strength and size of the animal. If it is too small, the animal may swallow it and suffocate, and if excessively large, it can be difficult to use and bite.
It is important to take into account which are the most attractive and visible colors for dogs to buy one that is palatable for our animal.
Blue and yellow are the easiest colors to distinguish from a dog’s eye, unlike what happens with green, red or pink.
Before deciding to buy a specific dog toy, look at the scores that users have used to evaluate it on the web.
Don’t just look at the numbers, try to read the opinions left by the buyers with a dog similar to yours, because you will be able to discover very useful aspects and details.