Your cat friend may be of refined taste or good mouth, but it’s up to you to decide what to feed him. The market offers a wide choice, how to orient yourself? In this guide, we have selected five products that, in our opinion, allow us to combine quality and savings.
Thanks to the opinion of users and specialists, we have tried to answer the owners’ doubts when it comes to choosing between morsels, croquettes, or pates, advertised with inviting images and slogans.
One must be careful, for example, to be attracted by the raw materials heralded on the packaging: a turkey meal will contain, on average, no more than 5% of tasty feathered. Here we will be listing the top 12 best cat foods.
- Contains one (1) 7 lb bag of IAMS Proactive Health Adult Indoor Weight and Hairball Care Dry Cat Food with Chicken and Turkey
- Chicken is the main ingredient in this protein-rich cat food to help support strong muscles and to provide healthy energy for play
- Formulated with l-carnitine to help your indoor cat lose weight or maintain a healthy weight
- SmartBlend of high-quality ingredients in Purina Tender Selects salmon cat food starts with real salmon along with accents of carrots and peas, and vitamins A and E promote your cat's bright eyes
- High levels of protein in Purina ONE Tender Selects Blend adult dry cat food with salmon help support your cat's strong muscles, including her healthy heart, throughout her active life
- Is Purina ONE good for cats? This natural dry cat food with added vitamins, minerals and nutrients and no artificial flavors or preservatives delivers complete and balanced nutrition for adult cats
- Contains one (1) 14-pound bag of Rachael Ray Nutrish Indoor Complete Natural Premium Dry Cat Food (Packaging May Vary)
- Small kibble is easy to chew and swallow, keeping the crisp, crunchy texture and big flavor and Real salmon, wholesome lentils, and unique Superfood Blend helps support dietary needs of indoor cats.
- Natural prebiotics from pumpkin for a healthy digestive tract and Natural food for adult cats includes added vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
- Fancy Feast wet cat food made without artificial colors or preservatives
- Crafted with real, high-quality ingredients to deliver 100 percent complete and balanced canned cat food
- Fancy Feast grilled cat food developed in partnership with our expert nutritionists to create a unique and unforgettable taste experience for your cat
- One (1) 4 lb bag of ACANA Indoor Entree Free Run** Chicken and Turkey Dry Cat Food
- Craveable free-run** chicken and turkey and whole herring recipe that is uniquely suited to the needs of your domesticated, indoor cat
- Grain free dry cat food*** made with 65% animal ingredients* and 35% fruits, vegetables and botanicals****
- Contains one (1) 10 lb. bag of CRAVE Grain Free Adult Dry Cat Food with Protein from Chicken
- Real chicken is the #1 ingredient to give cats the flavor they go wild for and the protein-rich diet they need
- Dry, grain free cat food recipes are crafted with all natural, real ingredients inspired by your cat’s natural, ancestral diet—providing energy from quality carbohydrate sources, plus vitamins, minerals, & other nutrients
- 100% Complete and Balanced for Cats: Enriched with vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients, this wet cat food provides 100% complete and balanced nutrition for cats at every life stage
- Variety pack contains three delectably soft cat food entrées with the light texture and irresistible flavors cats love, Made without grains, corn, wheat, or soy… plus, no artificial flavors or preservatives, so you can feel good about the wet pate you feed your feline
- Individual trays of fresh meals mean that you’ll have zero messy leftovers, unlike canned cat food
- PACKED WITH REAL CHICKEN: Made to feed your feline's wild side, this high protein cat food is packed with more of the chicken cats crave to help build and maintain lean muscle mass
- GRAIN FREE INDOOR CAT FOOD: BLUE Wilderness grain free indoor cat food is specially formulated to help meet the unique needs of indoor cats to support healthy weight and healthy digestion without the grains that contain gluten
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE's exclusive LifeSource Bits - a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists, to support immune system health
- Cat food with gravy, made without artificial colors or preservatives
- Purina Fancy Feast canned cat food variety pack crafted with real, high-quality ingredients, like real poultry or beef, to deliver 100 percent complete and balanced food for adult cats
- An irresistible, protein-rich Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers cat food taste offering a gourmet turkey, chicken or beef cat food meal with an enticing aroma and a light, savory gravy
- Fresh new look, coming soon!
- Adult dry cat food with taurine for heart health, plus balanced minerals for kidney & bladder health
- High quality protein to help your adult cat build and maintain lean muscle
- GRAIN FREE CAT FOOD WITH CAGE FREE CHICKEN: Instinct Original dry cat food is made with 81% real animal ingredients and nutritious oils, 19% vegetables, fruits and other wholesome ingredients. Responsibly sourced cage free chicken is the #1 ingredient.
- NATURAL CAT FOOD: Instinct Original dry cat food is high protein cat food made with probiotics to support healthy digestion and omegas for skin & coat. Made without grain, potato, corn, wheat, soy, by-product meals, artificial colors or preservatives.
- THE FIRST RAW COATED KIBBLE: Our grain free cat food offers balanced nutrition for all cats, including indoor & kittens. Each piece of kibble is coated in freeze dried raw for nutrition & taste. Delicious, healthy flavor that even picky kitties will love.
- GRAIN FREE WET FOOD – Rely on the delicious blend in Tiki Cat Grill to provide complete and balanced nutrition for your cat in any life stage.
- HIGH MOISTURE WET CAT FOOD – Count on the high moisture content of each can of Cat Grill to give your cat the supplemental water she needs.
- NUTRIENT RICH CAT FOOD - Real meat is first ingredient, giving your cat the nutrition she needs and the taste she loves.
Best Cat Foods Buyer Guide
On the shelf, real or virtual, there are dozens of brands and as many feed qualities for our four-legged friends. In this guide, we will mainly deal with cat food that does not have specific needs.
Wet or Dry?
One of the first questions we ask ourselves when we try to understand which cat food to buy, concerns the choice between the dry and wet feed. Both options offer advantages and disadvantages.
On average, wet foods contain a more balanced quantity of fats and, moreover, they guarantee the right amount of water. Our four-legged friends seem to appreciate them more than the kibbles, but you have to consider how willing you are to spoil them.
There are studies and research, in fact, that clearly demonstrate how much a diet based exclusively on paté or morsels can weigh on your wallet.
Cats are primarily carnivorous animals, and there are many nutrients that should not be missing from their daily meal.
The supply of proteins is fundamental, but the fibers, fats, minerals, and the right vitamin contribution must not be neglected.
The dosage of these elements can vary depending on the feline’s age and state of health.
Fats, provided they are offered balance, perform some critical functions: they guarantee the right amount of energy, particularly necessary for puppies, and, perhaps less known, they favor the absorption of some precious vitamins.
Felines, however, even more than dogs, derive the most excellent energy intake from proteins. Any “vegetarian” experiment on your cat would be harmful to his health.
Muscles, bones, and ribs are formed thanks to the protein contribution of meals correctly. Vitamins and minerals are also fundamental, as are fibers, useful for regulating intestinal functions.
In this regard, it is worth remembering that the classic image of the kitten in front of the milk bowl is entirely at odds with the cat’s dietary needs. Lactose, in fact, is poorly digested by felines, as well as my dogs.
Dietetic and Complementary Products
When looking for the best cat food, perhaps among the offers of an e-commerce site or on the shelf of a supermarket, one must always make sure to choose products that constitute a complete meal, and not a pure supplement.
The national and European rules that regulate this market are quite precise and strict in the distinction.
It is almost commonplace that felines in this condition tend to gain weight. But the commonplace is partially confirmed by reality: males reduce the exploration of the territory and become more sedentary, reducing their calorie needs by up to 30%.
Properties of A Good Cat Foods
Comfort and Quality
The trays of Sheba morsels are sold in convenient packs of 85 grams. The daily requirement for a cat of about 5 kg can be calculated in about three or four doses.
This means that the cost of feeding your kitty daily should be just under three euros a day.
This expense is partially resizable if you buy, for example, packs of 22 trays, often sold online at advantageous prices.
The choice of dry food allows you to save money and not a little. Still, there are many good reasons to resort to bites and pates, at least occasionally.
The wet feed is less fat and more affluent in water, a not insignificant detail for a feline who tends to stay a little in front of the bowl of water.
Sheba products have been analyzed by more than one independent company. They have always achieved excellent results in terms of raw material quality.
All the Necessary
The Sheba product emerges as a winner in more than one comparison between the many brands offered on the market. You can buy it easily on the net or in supermarkets.
Both the quality of fats and that of proteins are promoted with flying colors. More than 45% of the product is made up of meats and derivatives, of which 4%, in this case, from chicken.
It may seem a low percentage since the chicken is advertised on the package, but it is actually a perfectly average value for this type of product.
Furthermore, if you read the composition indicated on the label, you will find exactly this figure.
Another quality boasted by manufacturers is the low use of preservatives and additives. A characteristic that corresponds to the product.
In Sheba morsels, on the other hand, there is an excellent mix of vitamins, fibers and minerals essential to the cat’s diet.
Long Live the Taurine
In the diet of our feline, some essential amino acids cannot be missing, including taurine. It has been verified by more than one independent test that Sheba trays contain the right quantity and quality of these constituent elements of animal proteins.