The cake pan is a handy accessory that can not miss in the kitchen of those who love to make cakes and desserts of various kinds. This tool allows you to prepare multiple recipes and make them differently.
You can opt for a traditional model, with a round or rectangular shape, or for a more original one, for example in the form of a heart. Admittedly, there are almost endless options in the current market.
Right below we had selected some of the latest and advanced models of cake pans for you.
Things to Consider Before Buying Cake Pans
The selection of cake pans has indeed helped you to discover that there are many options available. You have seen that there are models of distinct materials, with classic or original shapes.
However, you still need to inquire about other important factors to buy the model that suits you best. So you just have to pay attention to the rest of the guide.
What Is a Cake Tin?
A cake pan is an instrument that serves to give a certain shape to the mass, by cooking it in the oven or cold. There are different models on the market, depending on their shape, size, height or materials used during its manufacture.
Depending on the use you want to make of it, the cake pan must have distinct characteristics. You will discover them over the next few paragraphs.
What Materials Are Used in The Manufacture of A Cake Pan?
The first thing you need to keep in mind is the way you want to use your cake pan. As you read in the previous paragraph, this factor is decisive for selecting the right characteristics of this article.
We will begin by analyzing the materials used in its manufacture. It is a question that will influence how much you can use it and the type of cooking it allows. So, record everything!
- Carbon Steel. They are usually provided with a tin coating to avoid oxidation. It is one of the most classic materials and always offers good results. Also, it supports very high temperatures and can be used to prepare various types of cakes. You must always wash it by hand.
- Stainless Steel. For many, this represents the best option, because it is a very resistant material. It will not leave any flavour on the food cooked inside and is perfect for preparing various types of pies or cakes.
- Aluminium. It is a fairly inexpensive material and that, in general, is not too resistant. The articles made of anodized aluminium are more resistant and oxidize less and do not lose their shape easily. They are mainly used to prepare sponge cake or cake bases.
- Ceramic. We recommend this material only if it has undergone a vitrification process, which allows the closure of its pores. What is prepared inside cannot be deformed, unless the tool is removable or you place some baking paper on the base. This is the best option for making the American pie we previously mentioned or a French quiche. In both cases, your preparation can be served directly in the cake pan.
- Cast Iron. It is an alternative with an excellent quality-price ratio, although its price is slightly higher than other similar models. It will give a touch of quality to your kitchen and is perfect for preparing various types of cakes.
- Aluminum Paper. They are disposable cake tins. Although they are cheaper than the other models, in the long run, it is a more expensive option, because they can be used only once. They can be a good solution for preparing sponge cakes or stuffed cakes. In this case, it can be both sweet and savoury pies. Its main advantage is that, with them, it is easy to transport your preparation from one place to another.
Silicone. This type of cake tin offers various advantages. For example, it can be used both in the oven and in the microwave. Food does not stick to it and can also be washed in the dishwasher. It is also true that silicone moulds deform easily. To remove them from the oven or refrigerator, it is recommended to use a solid surface, so as not to break their shape.
- Glass. They are not among the most used cake tins, but they can still be a good option thanks to their versatility. If you don’t have other cake pans available, you can always prepare cold cakes or a delicious sponge cake with them. However, its use is recommended mainly for savoury recipes, such as lasagna or cannelloni.
Shapes of Cake Pans
Another of the features to consider before buying a cake pan is its shape. But don’t forget that it can also be very helpful to have more than one simply.
Always if you are one of those people who like to cook sweets systematically, otherwise you risk abandoning these tools in the drawers of your kitchen pantry.
- Rotonda. A round cake pan is almost inevitable if you like to cook the classic cake of a lifetime. Not only for the base of a sponge cake but also for a cheesecake, a chocolate cake or any other ingredient you want to experiment.
- Square. The square cake tins only very versatile. Depending on the size, you can process different quantities, of course. Its main advantage is that this form allows you to divide the content into equal portions: an element that is very useful when you offer a dessert to your children or guests.
- Rectangular. The rectangular cake tins are long and narrow and are mainly used to prepare the classic sponge cake. You can use them in a similar way to the square ones.
- Original Forms. As for the cake tins that have original shapes, we can say that there are infinite ones. They are perfect, especially for parties and special occasions. Without a doubt, the best advantage comes from the fact that you can always find the shape you like and the most appropriate for each situation.
High or Low Cake Pan?
The low cake tins usually measure less than 4 cm, while the tall ones go from this measure upwards. The former is perfect for all those preparations in which the mass does not grow during the cooking process.
This occurs, for example, in the preparation of an American pie as well as a quiche. Or at the same time, with them, you can cook the various layers of certain types of cakes.
The tall models, on the other hand, are ideal for all those recipes in which the size of the preparation increases. Or simply for all those recipes that include a high or multi-layer cake.
Do not forget that many cake pans with special shapes are quite high and are usually used for the preparation of various types of cakes. In any case, your choice must always depend on the use you want to make of it.
How to Grease a Cake Tin?
If the pan is not non-stick, it is necessary to grease its walls so that the preparation does not stick to them. There are various ways to do this, but we advise you to use the method that involves butter and flour.
First of all, melt a little butter and then lightly grease the whole surface of the cake pan that will be in contact with the preparation.
Do not forget that when cooking some preparations, especially if they contain yeast or thickeners, the size will grow. After that, you will have to sprinkle some flour on the greased surface with butter.
Once you have carried out this procedure, you can already pour the mass you have prepared onto it. Of course, always follow the directions of the cake maker, as well as those of the recipe.
How Choose the Best Cake Pan?
Now we are concluding this guide. The information analyzed so far surely comes in very handy, but, despite this, you still have to read some notions on some purchase criteria that may be essential to you. It is very important to focus on each one so that you can then buy the cake pan that suits you best.
For this reason, keep reading the following carefully. Also, we had shared a video guide about how to choose the cake pan.
Knowing how many servings you need to prepare with your cake pan is crucial to making the final decision. Maybe you only prepare these types of desserts when you have invited them home, or maybe you do it more frequently because it is your passion.
This table will be useful for you to understand the size of your cake pan, but keep in mind that it is an approximate size.
Usually, recipes that are prepared with this type of cake pan need temperatures that are close to 220-230 degrees. Most of the cake tins available at the supermarket support this temperature, but always remember to check this information on its label.
If you need a model that withstands a higher temperature, up to 250 °, we advise you to opt for carbon steel.
Even cooking allows for better cooking results. If the recipe you are preparing needs this type of cooking, avoid the silicone cake pan. Metallic models, especially those in cast iron, or ceramic models, represent the most suitable option.
It is important to check on the label that it is a tool that supports thermal conductivity or uniform heating.
If you want to get excellent results with your cake pan, choosing a non-stick is essential. This will prevent the ingredients from sticking to the base or walls and, also, washing will be easier and faster.
Silicone is a non-stick material of its own. For the other models, however, remember to check if they have this coating. If not, you will need to grease the cake tin or use baking paper.
As you saw in this article, ceramic cake tins are very useful for some recipes thanks to their height. On the other hand, those made of silicone or other metallic materials are generally more versatile.
If you are still undecided between a silicone and a metal cake pan, analyze this comparative table to make your final decision.